Born 1942, Washington, D.C,
New York Academy of Art; Art Students League, 1980-1983
Columbia University, New York, N.Y. MA summa cum laude, English and Comparative Literature, 1970; abd PhD,
Danforth Foundation Kent Fellowship, 1965-70
Radcliffe College, Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts, B.A. magna cum laude,
Russian History and Literature,1964; Woodrow Wilson Fellowship, Phi Beta Kappa
- Prince Street Gallery, New York Still Life with Snow , 2015
- Prince Street Gallery, New York Little Breakfasts, 2012
- Noho Gallery, New York Blue Studio, 2010
- Noho Gallery, New York After Pieter Claesz’s Still Life with Turtle, 2007
- Noho Gallery, New York Afternoon Light: North American Landscapes, 2005.
- Noho Gallery, New York Venetian Days and English Days, 2004.
- Noho Gallery, New York From Cape Cornwall to France, Italy, and Greece, 2002.
- Noho Gallery, New York Questions of Travel, 1999
- Noho Gallery, New York The darkness closing round a fisherman’s oar/the sound of water gnawing at bright stone, 1997
- Noho Gallery, New York Painted Tables, 1995
- Noho Gallery, New York Still Life in Squares, 1993
- Noho Gallery, New York Masks and Masquerades, 1991
- Noho Gallery, New York in association with the Royal Oak Society at the National Trust Corfe Castle in Ruins and Flames, 1989
- Noho Gallery, New York The Grail Legends in Modern Dress, 1987
- Noho Gallery, New York Psychological Realism in the Life of Still Life, 1983
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- Staff Show, Brooklyn Museum, spring 2017
- Zeuxis traveling show: THE UNSTILLLIFE: A Celebration of the Eccentric Possibilities of Still Life, curated by Trevor Winkfield, November 4, 2016 January 14, 2017 at the Toni and Stuart B. Young Gallery of the Delaware College of Art and Design
- The Painting Center, NYC February 25-March 25, 2017
- Zeuxis traveling show: FLOWERS AS METAPHOR
Hendrix College, Conway, Arkansas September 6-30, 2016
- Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa, California November 17-December 15, 2016
- Wiegand Gallery, Notre Dame de Namur University, Belmont, California January 25-February 25, 2017
- Zeuxis traveling show: : BEYOND THE WINDOW
The Norton Center for the Arts, Danville, KY;
- Bowery Gallery, New York, NY, 2015;
- Alexandre Hogue Gallery, University of Tulsa, Tulsa, OK, 2015;
- Mark W. Potter Gallery, Taft School, Watertown, CT, 2015
- Zeuxis traveling show: STILL, BLUE
William and Florence Schmidt Art Center,
Southwestern Illinois College, Belleville, Illinois
July 5-August 9, 2013
- Jessie C. Wilson Galleries, Anderson University, Anderson, Indiana October 5-November 8, 2013
- First Street Gallery, NY February 4-March 1, 2014
- Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts
Annapolis, Maryland April 1-May 15, 2014
- The Sylvia Sleigh Collection at Rowan University, Glassboro, NJ 2011
- New York Society of Women Artists at the Hammond Museum 2011
- Staff Show at the Brooklyn Museum 2011
- Winter Thoughts at Prince Street Gallery 2011
- New Members at Prince Street Gallery 2010
- Ten by Ten at Prince Street Gallery 2010
- Park Avenue Armory Arts and Antiques Fair, December 3-6, 2009
- Rutgers University Paul Robeson Gallery, Exquisite Cadaver , 2009
- Organization of Independent Artists, Law School, 47 Worth Street, 2009
- National Association of Women Artists, Interchurch Center, 2008
- New York Society of Women Artists at Broome Street Gallery, 2007, 2009, 2009
- The Inner Eye; New York Society of Women Artists at the Art Students League, 2006.
- Save Venice, Inc. exhibition at Salander O’Reilly Gallery, November, 2005.
- Brooklyn Watercolor Society exhibitions at Brooklyn Boro Hall, Kingsboro College ‘04-05.
- American Women Artists at Cape Cornwall 1992-2002: The Brisons Veor Residency at The Painting Center, 52 Greene Street, New York, N.Y. June 14-July 19, 2003.
- Wish You Were Here at AIR; Prince Street Gallery summer group show, 2003.
- New York Society of Women Artists show, Northern Westchester Art Center,Mt. Kisco, ‘03.
- DFN Gallery, Tribeca, 2002 summer show.
- Biennale Internazionale d’Arte Contemporanea, Firenze, 2001.
- Soho 20 Gallery, New York, New York. The Sylvia Sleigh Collection , 1998.
- Noho Gallery, New York.Pure Annunciations to the Eye ,1997; On Ice, 2003.
- Albright Knox Museum. Members’ Gallery, 1997, 2002-3.
- Westbeth Gallery, The Women’s Caucus, New York. The Collage Show ,1994.
- Bitter-Larkin Gallery, New York. Art at Friends, 1992.
- La DŽfense, Paris, France. SensibilitŽs Contemporains ,1991.
- Marymount Manhattan Gallery, New York. “Theater of the Object: Narrative
- Still Life , 1990, co-curated with Fran Hodes.
The Rose Museum, Brandeis University, Boston; The University of Virginia Museum, Richmond, Virginia; The American Bar Association, Toronto, Canada.
Art and the Law , West Publications travelling exhibition,1988-89 with color catalogue.
- The Woodstock Guild, Woodstock, NY.Still Life , curated by Sondra Howells,1986.
- The Clocktower, New York, WCA. Costumes, Masks, and Disguises , 1986 ,co-curated with Fran Hodes.
- The Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn, NY. Brooklyn ‘85 , 1985.
- A.M. Sachs Gallery, New York. Summer watercolor exhibition, 1984.
- Fordham Lincoln Center, New York. Four Realists , 1984
- Marymount Manhattan Gallery, New York. Color Harmonious and Discordant , curated by Sylvia Sleigh for The Women’s Caucus for Art, 1982
- Fordham at Lincoln Center, New York. Translucencies / Transparencies , 1980
- Ed McCormack, Stephanie Rauschenbusch Finds Fertile Aesthetic Company in Old Haarlem, Gallery and Studio, June/July/August 2007
- Cynthia Dantzic, One Hundred New York Painters, Schiffer Publishing, 2006, pages 170-1.
- Ed McCormack, The Postmodern Landscapes of Stephanie Rauschenbusch, Gallery and Studio, 2005.
- Kate Millett, Stephanie Rauschenbusch, Exhibition Catalogue Essay,1999.
- Kate Millett, A.D., W.W. Norton Publishing,1995.
- Marc Furstenberg, Stephanie Rauschenbusch shows five oils, The Woodstock Times,1986.
- John Russell, In a quiet way, a distinguished show. The New York Times, December 23,1983
- Art and The Law, Exhibition Catalogue, West Publications, Toronto, Canada,1988-89.
SELECTED PRIVATE AND CORPORATE COLLECTIONS
The Sylvia Sleigh Collection at Rowan University
Raymond James Financial, St. Petersburg, Florida
Mrs. Pierre Matisse, New York
Sylvia Sleigh (Mrs. Lawrence Alloway), New York
Kathleen Wresien, Holyoke, Massachusetts
Kate Millett, Poughkeepsie
Molly Peacock, Toronto
Richard and Sheila White, Brooklyn, New York
Nancy Kelly and Terry Langendoen, Tucson, Arizona
Susan Louer and Jules Trachten, Brooklyn, New York
Rhonna and Ezra Goodman, Brooklyn, New York
Sandra Prior, Brooklyn, New York
Stuart and William Buice, New York
Peter Sellon, Purchase, New York
Maureen and Timothy Sheehan, Brooklyn, New York
Douglas and Judy Sparrow, Medfield, Massachusetts
Ann and Richard Creighton Sullivan, Rye, New York
Rhea Sanders, New York
Susan Scioli, Brooklyn, New York
Julia and Jim Hall, Brooklyn, New York
Lynne and Farnham Blair, Blue Hill, Maine
Walter and Marylu Raushenbush, Coronado, California
Mary Ellen Baldwin, New York
Ginny and Arthur Bach, Brooklyn, New York
Cathleen Dowd, Saugerties, New York
Paul and Jane Dietche, New York
Michael De Cuollo, New York
Gillian and Roy Frasier, Brooklyn, New York
Robert and Sandi Friedman, New York
Ellen and Mark Greenfield, Brooklyn, New York
Patricia and Tom Glynn, Brooklyn, New York
Doctors Loren W. and Norman L. Greene, New York
Ellen and Richard Greenhut, New York
Jean-Paul St. Germain, Stamford, Connecticut
Winky Livengood,Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Julia Frey, Princeton, New Jersey and Paris, France
Eric Margulies and Leah Carr, New York
Irving and Julie Barrett, Newport
Maureen and Michael Mullarkey, Chappaqua, New York
PUBLISHED WORKS by Stephanie Rauschenbusch
- THE HEART’S ICE THAWS, book of poems published by Ben Leenen, Elephantine Press, Maastricht, The Netherlands, three edition of twenty each in the collections of The Museum of Modern Art, The Brooklyn Museum,
The New York Public Library,2000-2001
- Pavanne for a Dead Princess , Macedoine: Stanley Spencer”, FIRE, Oxfordshire, England, 2001
- Translation of a Provencal sestina by Arnault Daniel, THE PARIS REVIEW,2000
- Georgetown Childhood, Descent from the Cross,My Eyes were Watching Japanese Beetles, THE PATERSON LITERARY JOURNAL, 1997
- Louise Bourgeois, THE WESTERN HUMANITIES REVIEW
- He Rows. I Trust Him.Poetlink Father Anthology
- Two Russian Poets, NEW YORK QUARTERLY
- Book reviews of books by Richard Howard, Paul Muldoon, Grace Paley,
Dennis Nurkse, Nuala Ni Dhombnaill, in AMERICAN BOOK REVIEW, 1999-2001